This post may contain affiliate links. We only share items that we love and make a small percentage of the sale if you choose to buy through our links- but there's never any added cost to you...our earnings go to important stuff like more coffee to survive the toddler years!
This slow cooker red beans and rice recipe is so simple and perfect for a busy week night meal. Red beans and rice make for a filling meal….and simple when done in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Top of the Line– All-Clad Slow Cooker
Moderately Priced– Crock Pot Cook and Carry Programmable Slow Cooker
- 1 lb. dried red beans, rinsed and drained well
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3½ C of water
- 2⅔ C of beef broth
- ½ tsp crushed red hot peppers
- 1 smoked ham hock, skin scored in a diamond pattern
- 4 C of hot cooked rice
- Soak the beans overnight in water. Drain well.
- Place the oil into a skillet over medium high heat. Add the celery, onions, bell pepper, scallions and garlic. Stirring often, cook the mixture for 6 minutes or until the onion is tender. Transfer to the crock pot.
- Add the beans and stir to blend in. Pour the water and beef broth into the crock pot. Add the crushed peppers and stir to blend all the ingredients together. Bury the ham hock into the beans.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 9 hours or until the beans are tender. Remove the ham hock and remove the skin and any fat. Shred the meat and place back into the beans. Serve the beans over the hot cooked rice.
Join the Challenge
Are you ready to start spring cleaning but just overwhelmed with where to start? I'm right there with you! Join along in the 5 Day Spring Cleaning Challenge!!