This site contains affiliate links, 3rd party ads, and sponsored content. For more information please read our Disclosure Policy. As always, I only recommend products or services I personally use and love!
This post brought to you by Puerto Rico, The All-Star Island. All opinions are 100% mine.
Puerto Rico- an Island Adventure
Read through to get a little taste of paradise and a recipe for Arroz Con Pollo– a classic Puerto Rican dish!
So those of you who read Serendipity and Spice regularly know that Hubs is from Puerto Rico. Amazingly enough, I have never been….by the time we met and started dating his parents and siblings had already moved over here so we haven’t had the opportunity to visit. BUT, that’s all changing this year!
Now that we have Little Man it is imperative that we visit and introduce him to all of Hubs’ extended family….and I’m SUPER excited to be going….and with the perfect tour guide!!
A few things on our MUST DO list (aside from meeting family):
1. Visiting El Yunque- The only rainforest in the US National Parks!
2. Checking out Old San Juan- Hubs says it’s like stepping back in time with it’s cobblestone streets, hidden gems around every corner with Artisans selling their masterpieces, the aroma of bakeries and restaurants wafting through the air….it’s the melding of old world charm and modern convienences meeting together and mixing perfectly.
3. Swimming in the Bioluminescent Bays– yeah, a night time swim sounds like the perfect escape….and what’s cooler than glowing under water!
4. A trip to Flamenco Beach– rated in the Top 10 Beaches in the World by The Travel Channel– even if we don’t make it Flamenco there’s 270 miles of coastline that’s often touted as the most beautiful beaches in the world!
5. Explore the Camuy Caverns- running through the 3rd largest subterranean river in the world.
We have a great deal planned for our trip and Hubs is super excited! He can’t wait to revisit all of his childhood haunts and share his experiences with Little Man and myself!
The great thing about visiting Puerto Rico is that we don’t have to do a lot of pre-planning….it’s a US territory so no passports are needed and no currency exchange is required. We can literally pack a bag and jump on a plane! Live your own 5-star vacation story in Puerto Rico. You can check out some fantastic travel videos on Trip Advisor starring some of the islands most famous stars….see any you recognize?! 😉
So, to hold you over until your big trip to the All Star Island, Puerto Rico, try this delicious classic dish that’s Hubs’ favorite meal from home!
Arroz Con Pollo Recipe
Puerto Rican Chicken & Rice
8 Cups of Water
1 Chicken Bullion Cube
2 Packets Sazon Seasoning
2 Lbs. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
1 Cup Cubed Ham
3 Cups Rice
Fill LARGE pot with 8 cups of water.
Add in bullion cube and sazon.
Bring chicken thighs to a boil.
Shred chicken thighs with 2 forks– pulling meat apart.
Add in rice and ham.
Boil until rice is done.
Serve with beans and plantains to complete this classic meal!
- 8 Cups of Water
- 1 Chicken Bullion Cube
- 2 Packets Sazon Seasoning
- 2 Lbs. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Cup Cubed Ham
- 3 Cups Rice
- Fill LARGE pot with 8 cups of water.
- Add in bullion cube and sazon.
- Bring chicken thighs to a boil.
- Shred chicken thighs with 2 forks-- pulling meat apart.
- Add in rice and ham.
- Boil until rice is done.
- Serve with beans and plantains to complete this classic meal!