I have become obsessed with the cable knit sweater look that seems to be popping up everywhere! And the great thing is that these are soooo easy to refashion. Once I decided what to do these hurricane lamps took me about 15 minutes to create.
I first saw these on Infarantly Creative and then on Pinterest linked to Under the Table and Dreaming, I changed things up a bit because I didn’t use the glue gun as I thought it would be nice to be able to change these out as the seasons change.
I originally bought 2 of these hurricane lamps years ago on clearance at Target but they no
longer match my decor so they have been sitting in the closet for about 3 years.
After I made my cable knit sweater wreath (check it out here) I started looking for other home decorating ideas that I could do with sweaters. These bring a nice new coziness to the house with all the Christmas decor packed away.
What you need:
An old cable knit sweater
Vase or candle holders
1. Slide sweater sleeve over vase
(make sure it’s tight, otherwise it will look sloppy)
I’ll post a tutorial for skinny vases
2. The instructions from Under the Table and Dreaming states to have the finished end of the sleeve at the top of the base; but, I have it at the bottom so you don’t have to use the glue gun or sew. So make sure the finished end is on the under side- this will also help with stablization because there won’t be any bunching up of the fabric.
3. Flip the vase over and hold up the extra sweater material.
4. Cut off excess fabric…. make sure you leave 4-6 inches so it can be shoved inside and the edge won’t be seen.
5. Tie a bow around the base with ribbon.
I was tempted to leave it like this but decided to add snowflakes
(I used straight pins to attach them that way I can take them off if I decide to)
Other Sweater Items to check out: