These Holly Wreath Christmas Cupcakes are the perfect dessert for your holiday meals! Make these in the kitchen with the kids!
Christmas Cupcakes with Homemade Buttercream Icing Recipe
Holly Wreath Christmas Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 1/3 C flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 C whole milk
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 C unsalted butter, room temp
- 4 + C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Icing Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Green & red gel food coloring
- Cupcake Directions:
- -Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- -Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Whisk these together. Set aside.
- -Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl.
- -Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add in the vanilla.
- -Alternate by adding the flour mixture with the milk; beating after each addition.
- -Fill the lined cupcake tins 3/4 full.
- -Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- -Allow to cool in cupcake pan for 10 minutes.
- -Move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frosting Directions:
- -Cream the butter and powder sugar until it is light and creamy.
- -If it doesn't cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- -Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then.
- - Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time. Mix well.
- -If ready scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large tip.
- -Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- -Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
- Icing Directions:
- -Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- -If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- - Spoon the icing into a bowl.
- -Take out 1/4 of the icing and put in a separate bowl. Add several drops of red gel food coloring. Stir well to mix the color.
- -Add several drops of the green gel food coloring to the remaining icing . Stir well to mix the color.
- -Spoon the green icing into a piping bag with a star tip. Holding the piping bag with the star tip straight down begin to squeeze the open end of the bag to force the icing to the tip.
- -Circle the frosting on top of the cupcake making in the shape of a wreath. Allow this to dry for about 1 minute.
- -Spoon the red icing into a piping bag with a small round tip.
- -Following the example from the picture of the cupcakes begin making small red dots on top of the green wreath. Then make a bow also in the red icing.
- -Allow the icing to dry completely.