This week’s New Blogger Series is…
Understanding Blog Etiquette
If you’ve missed any of this series make sure you check out:
When I first started blogging I had no idea what was expected of me at linky parties or when someone commented or any of it. I have however started seeing a lot of posts surrounding this issue which tells me it seems to be an issue and us newbies may not realize we’re doing it. Doing this week’s research I have realized that I’ve done some of these “Bad” things!
A few things I have learned:
- ALWAYS link back to your host when you join a linky party! This not only helps them spread the word about their party BUT it also helps your SEO! Well, why does this affect you if you don’t even understand SEO? What I’m learning about SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the better your SEO the higher up on the list you will be when someone does a google (or any search engine) search. Hence, if you come up as #2 when someone searches “how to make a pillow” you will get more traffic and more followers. So, how does linking to someone else’s party help your SEO? From what I’ve read, Google and other search engines, rank you based on how many sites your site links to and how many sites link to you. So start linking up those party sites! Plus, it’s the right thing to do!
- Give credit where credit is due! I always try to reference where I got the idea for my project and link to that person- I also leave them some comment love letting them know (yet again, this helps your SEO from above). Plus, by linking to them you’ve probably just gained another follower.
- Don’t spam your readers. Now don’t get me wrong- you should totally take the opportunity to get paid to blog… just don’t overdo it- make sure your blog has some substance too.
- You don’t have to respond to every comment but try. Also, make sure you do respond to any questions so you don’t leave your reader hanging.
- And of course… The Golden Rule:
Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You!
Check out these other Blogging Tips: