Are you looking for a simple and flavorful dish to add to your dinner repertoire?
Look no further than this mouthwatering Crockpot Chicken Divan recipe.
With its creamy sauce, tender chicken, and perfectly cooked broccoli, this dish is sure to become a family favorite. Plus, the convenience of using a crockpot makes this recipe a time-saving option for busy days.
Let’s dive into the details and learn how to make this delectable crockpot chicken divan meal!
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Chicken Divan in the Slow Cooker
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: Chicken breasts are lean cuts of poultry that serve as the main protein source in this recipe. They are tender, mild in flavor, and readily absorb the flavors of the creamy sauce.
- Cream of Chicken and Cream of Broccoli Soup: These canned soups provide the base for the creamy sauce. Cream of chicken soup adds a rich, savory flavor, while cream of broccoli soup introduces a subtle broccoli essence.
- Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise adds creaminess and richness to the sauce, contributing to the overall smooth and luxurious texture of the dish.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese is a hard, aged cheese with a salty, nutty taste. It enhances the sauce’s flavor, adding a savory and slightly tangy element.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard is a smooth, creamy mustard made from brown or black mustard seeds. It lends a gentle tanginess and a bit of sharpness to the sauce.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder: These powdered forms of garlic and onion provide a concentrated flavor to the dish, enhancing the overall taste and aroma.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper adds a mild heat and earthy flavor, enhancing the taste of the sauce and seasoning the chicken.
- Broccoli Florets: Broccoli florets are vibrant, nutritious green vegetables that bring a delightful crunch and a slightly bitter, earthy taste to the dish.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Cheddar cheese is a popular, mild-flavored cheese that melts well, adding creaminess and a satisfyingly gooey texture to the final dish.
- Optional: Cooked Rice or Noodles: Rice or noodles provide a hearty base for the dish, soaking up the creamy sauce and adding a filling component to the meal.
- Optional: Ritz Crackers or Panko Breadcrumbs: Topping this chicken divan crockpot recipe with crushed Ritz crackers or Panko breadcrumbs add a crunchy texture that takes this dish to the next level!
Each ingredient in this recipe serves a specific purpose, contributing to the overall taste, texture, and visual appeal of the Crockpot Chicken Divan. Together, they create a delicious and comforting dish perfect for any occasion.
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken
- Start by placing 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts into the crockpot, ensuring they are evenly spread out.
Step 2: Mix the Sauce
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine 1 can (10.5 oz) of cream of chicken soup, 1 can (10.5 oz) of cream of broccoli soup, 1 cup of mayonnaise, 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. Mix the ingredients thoroughly until you have a smooth sauce.
Step 3: Add the Sauce
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken in the crockpot, ensuring that the chicken is well coated with the sauce.
Step 4: Cook on Low
- Cover the crockpot and set it to cook on low heat for 5-6 hours. Allow the chicken to cook until it’s tender and fully cooked.
Step 5: Add Broccoli
- About 30-45 minutes before serving, stir in 2 cups of broccoli florets into the crockpot, making sure they are well-coated with the sauce. This ensures that the broccoli is cooked to perfection and infused with the flavors of the sauce.
Step 6: Melt Cheddar Cheese
- Just before serving, sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese over the chicken and broccoli mixture. Cover the crockpot and allow the cheese to melt for about 10-15 minutes.
Step 7: Serve
- Once the cheese has melted, uncover the crockpot and give the contents a gentle stir. Serve the Crockpot Chicken Divan over cooked rice or noodles if desired, and garnish with additional grated Parmesan cheese, Panko bread crumbs, or French fried onions, for an extra burst of flavor.
Tips and Variations:
- Cheese Variation: If you prefer a different type of cheese, feel free to substitute cheddar with Swiss, mozzarella, or your favorite cheese.
- Add Some Crunch: Consider topping the dish with crispy breadcrumbs, French fried onions, or crushed Ritz crackers for added texture and flavor.
- Vegetable Options: Customize this dish by adding other vegetables like sliced mushrooms or bell peppers for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Creamy Consistency: Adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding a little chicken or vegetable broth if you prefer a thinner sauce.
Printable Recipe: Crockpot Chicken Divan
This crockpot chicken divan recipe brings together chicken and broccoli in a delicious creamy cheese sauce for the ultimate comfort food meal.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of broccoli soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional Topping: Panko Breadcrumbs, Crushed Ritz Crackers, or French Fried Onions
- Optional Serving: Noodles or Rice
- Prepare the Chicken:
Start by placing the chicken breasts in the crockpot.
- Mix the Sauce:
In a mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, cream of broccoli soup, mayonnaise, grated Parmesan cheese, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Add the Sauce:
Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken in the crockpot, ensuring the chicken is evenly coated.
- Cook on Low:
Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- Add Broccoli:
About 30-45 minutes before serving, stir in the broccoli florets, making sure they are coated with the sauce.
- Melt Cheddar Cheese:
Just before serving, sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the chicken and broccoli mixture. Cover the crockpot and let the cheese melt for about 10-15 minutes.
Serve the Crockpot Chicken Divan over cooked rice or noodles, if desired. Garnish with additional grated Parmesan cheese or toppings for extra flavor.
This recipe is absolutely delicious as is, or topped with one of the optional toppings. I've made it every single way and can't choose a favorite! Give them each a try and find your perfect combo!