Discover the essence of Puerto Rico in our mouthwatering Puerto Rican Chicken Stew Crock Pot recipe. Let your crock pot work its magic as you savor a symphony of flavors, tender chicken, and vibrant vegetables. A taste of the Caribbean from your own kitchen!
Puerto Rican cuisine is a tantalizing blend of Spanish, African, and indigenous Taino influences, resulting in a vibrant and flavorful food culture. One dish that perfectly encapsulates this rich culinary heritage is this Puerto Rican Chicken Stew Crock Pot Recipe!
Bursting with aromatic spices, tender chicken, and an array of vibrant vegetables, this dish is a true celebration of Puerto Rican flavors.
Table of Contents
You May Also Like: Puerto Rican Beef Stew in Slow Cooker
Why Puerto Rican Chicken Stew in the Crock Pot
Puerto Rican Chicken Stew is a hearty and flavorful dish that embodies the essence of Puerto Rican cuisine. This stew features tender, succulent chicken thighs, marinated in a fragrant blend of garlic, oregano, cumin, and paprika. The chicken is then seared to perfection, locking in its natural juices and infusing it with a rich, smoky flavor.
The stew is a vibrant medley of colorful vegetables, including diced onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, and potatoes, which add layers of texture and taste. The infusion of bay leaf, green olives, and optional capers provides a unique and savory twist to the dish.
Simmered to perfection in a combination of chicken broth and tomato sauce, this stew transforms into a delightful amalgamation of flavors. As it slow-cooks in your crock pot, the ingredients meld together, resulting in a savory and aromatic masterpiece. To finish, a handful of vibrant green peas is added for a pop of color and a touch of sweetness.
Each spoonful of Puerto Rican Chicken Stew is a journey to the Caribbean, with the flavors of Puerto Rico dancing on your taste buds. The dish is often garnished with fresh cilantro, adding a bright and refreshing note to the robust flavors.
Check Out This Delicious Puerto Rican Recipe: Puerto Rican Arroz Con Pollo
Ingredients Needed for this Slow Cooker Puerto Rican Chicken Stew
To start your Puerto Rican Chicken Stew adventure, gather the following ingredients:
For the Chicken Marinade:
- 2 pounds of chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
For the Stew:
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (green or red)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of green olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup of capers (optional)
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
You May Also Like: Caramelized Sweet Plantains aka Platanos Maduros
How to Make this Crock Pot Chicken Stew Recipe
- Marinate the Chicken:
- In a large bowl, combine the minced garlic, dried oregano, ground cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and ensure they are evenly coated with the marinade. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or even overnight for enhanced flavor.
- Sear the Chicken:
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Sear the marinated chicken thighs until they are golden brown on both sides, then transfer them to your crock pot.
- Add the Vegetables and Spices:
- In the same skillet, sauté the diced onions, bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, and potatoes until they begin to soften.
- Add the sautéed vegetables to the crock pot with the seared chicken.
- Sprinkle in the bay leaf, green olives, and capers (if using).
- Pour in the Liquids:
- Pour the chicken broth and tomato sauce over the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Give everything a gentle stir to combine the flavors.
- Set and Forget:
- Cover the crock pot and set it to cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. This slow cooking process will infuse the stew with intense flavors and ensure tender, juicy chicken.
- Add the Finishing Touch:
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the frozen peas to add a burst of color and flavor to the stew.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Once the chicken is tender and the vegetables are cooked to perfection, remove the bay leaf.
- Serve your Puerto Rican Chicken Stew hot, garnished with chopped cilantro.
Printable Puerto Rican Chicken Stew Crock Pot Recipe
This stew features tender, succulent chicken thighs, marinated in a fragrant blend of garlic, oregano, cumin, and paprika. This Puerto Rican Chicken Stew in the Crock Pot makes dinner flavorful and easy!
- 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp each: oregano, cumin, paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup green olives
- 1/4 cup capers (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (for garnish)
- Marinate chicken with garlic, spices, and olive oil.
- Sear chicken, then transfer to crock pot.
- Sauté onions, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, and potatoes.
- Add sautéed veggies to crock pot, along with bay leaf, olives, and capers.
- Pour in chicken broth and tomato sauce; stir.
- Cook on low (6-8 hrs) or high (3-4 hrs).
- Add peas 30 mins before serving.
- Remove bay leaf and garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!
While you can skip searing the chicken and directly place it in the crock pot, taking the extra time to sear it can elevate the overall taste of your Puerto Rican Chicken Stew. However, if you're short on time or prefer a simpler preparation, you can still make a delicious stew without searing the chicken, as the slow cooking in the crock pot will still produce a flavorful dish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.