Chicken pot pie is the epitome of comfort food. With its savory filling of tender chicken, vegetables, and creamy sauce, all encased in a flaky, buttery crust, it’s a dish that warms the heart and satisfies the soul.
While traditional chicken pot pie can be a bit time-consuming to prepare, we have a solution that brings all the deliciousness with minimal effort – Easy Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie.
In this blog post, we will walk you through the steps to make this delectable dish in your slow cooker, ensuring you can enjoy the rich, hearty flavors of a chicken pot pie with minimal hassle.
Table of Contents
Prefer the buttery flaky crust with your chicken pot pie? Check out The BEST Chicken Pot Pie Recipe EVER!
Costco Chicken Pot Pie
One of my favorite easy dinners is the famous Costco Chicken Pot Pie. I love that I can pick it up, pop it in the oven, and have an amazing dinner the whole family loves. Unfortunately, the closest Costco is 40 minutes away from our new house. Not to mention, the last time I picked up a Costco Chicken Pot Pie, the price had increased dramatically….and in this economy, I need to save money wherever I can.
So, I decided to recreate the delicious Costco Chicken Pot Pie in the slow cooker. Now, it’s not going to have that buttery flaky crust, but I’ve found that baking some canned biscuits to go with this meal works just as well. And it’s a fraction of the cost!
Ready to recreate the delicious Costco Chicken Pot Pie filling in the crock pot?!
Ingredients for this Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
The ingredients for the filling of a classic chicken pot pie are a medley of savory components that come together to create a rich and hearty filling. Here’s a breakdown of these ingredients:
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast: Typically, you’ll use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed or diced into bite-sized pieces. This is the primary protein source for the filling.
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables: These usually consist of a combination of carrots, peas, corn, and green beans. They add color, texture, and a variety of flavors to the filling. Using frozen vegetables is convenient, but you can also use fresh or canned vegetables if you prefer.
- Onion: Chopped or diced onion adds a savory and aromatic element to the filling. It helps enhance the overall flavor of the dish.
- Garlic: Minced garlic cloves provide a subtle but important layer of flavor. Garlic adds depth to the filling and complements the other ingredients.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: A can of cream of chicken soup is a key ingredient that contributes to the creamy, luscious texture of the filling. It’s a convenient way to achieve that signature pot pie creaminess.
- Chicken Broth: Chicken broth is used to thin out the cream of chicken soup and provide a liquid base for the filling. It also infuses the filling with additional chicken flavor.
- Dried Thyme: Dried thyme is a common herb used in chicken pot pie filling. It imparts an earthy, herby note to the dish, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
- Salt and Pepper: These basic seasonings are used to season the filling, allowing you to adjust the saltiness and pepperiness to your taste.
These ingredients work together to create a filling that’s rich, savory, and comforting. The combination of tender chicken, a variety of vegetables, and a creamy sauce is what makes chicken pot pie a beloved comfort food classic. You can adjust the quantities and seasonings to suit your preferences and dietary requirements, making it a versatile dish for many occasions.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie in the Slow Cooker
Prepare the Crock Pot: Start by greasing your slow cooker to prevent sticking.
Combine Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the cubed chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, chopped onion, minced garlic, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix everything thoroughly to ensure an even distribution of flavors.
Layer in the Slow Cooker: Transfer the mixture to your prepared Crock Pot, spreading it out evenly.
Cooking Time: Cover the slow cooker and cook on the low setting for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through, and the vegetables are tender. You can also use the high setting for 2-3 hours if you’re in a hurry.
Serving: Once the Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie is ready, scoop out a portion onto your plate, and enjoy the delicious, comforting flavors of this classic dish.
Printable Recipe: Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
This slow cooker chicken pot pie recipe is a classic dish the whole family will love! Packed full of veggies and hearty chicken, this dish makes a simple dinner for busy nights.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, and green beans)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by greasing your slow cooker to prevent sticking. I prefer to use these silicone slow cooker liners...they make clean up a breeze!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cubed chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, chopped onion, minced garlic, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix everything thoroughly to ensure an even distribution of flavors.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared Crock Pot, spreading it out evenly.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on the low setting for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through, and the vegetables are tender. You can also use the high setting for 2-3 hours if you're in a hurry.
Serve with freshly baked canned biscuits to get that buttery crust taste!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.