This site contains affiliate links, 3rd party ads, and sponsored content. For more information please read our Disclosure Policy. As always, I only recommend products or services I personally use and love!
Gourmet Baked Gouda Mac and Cheese Recipe
Mix things up with some Gouda and Mozzarella Cheeses!!
So I LOVE mac and cheese! And I love mixing it up and cooking it in a variety of ways…check out this Ultimate Crock Pot Mac & Cheese Recipe I shared a while back. Well, this is my other favorite Mac & Cheese recipe to make….Baked Gouda Mac and Cheese Recipe…it makes me feel so grown up! 😉
I think the key to turning a traditional kid dish into a “Gourmet” grown up recipe is to first add “Gourmet” to the title because that automatically classes things up….right!? Next, change out a few ingredients for some fancier more grown up ingredients….I mean come on….what sounds more grown up than eating Gouda cheese…I didn’t even know what Gouda was until about 2 years ago! Finally, in order to really make a dish grown up you need to use the right bakeware….a big casserole is SOOOOOO kidtime BUT put this dish in little ramekins and all of a sudden it’s elegant and classy!
Anyway, I digress…. you can really make this dish in a big ol’ casserole dish and it’s still just as yummy…that’s how I make it…unless I’m trying to impress you lovely readers.
I love that now you can easily find Gouda in your grocery store….I actually found it with the shredded cheeses in the refrigerated section. The key to making really flavorful mac & cheese is to buy the block of cheese and shred it yourself. It only takes a couple of extra minutes but the taste is undeniable! The reason for the difference is that pre-shredded cheese has a thin film on it that helps to preserve it….it’s nothing bad it just isn’t as flavorful.
Alright, here’s the recipe I’m sure you’re now drooling over!
3 Cups of Water
1 TBS Butter
1 TBS Flour
1 Cup Chicken Stock
2 Cups Uncooked Macaroni
1/2 cup Chicken Stock
1/4 Cup Half ‘n Half
1/4 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Cream Cheese
3 Cups Shredded Gouda Cheese
1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
Cook the macaroni until al dente in the 3 cups of water and 1 cup of chicken stock. Check out this super simple and delicious homemade chicken stock recipe.
Drain macaroni and set to the side when done.
Make a roux with the butter and flour– melt the butter in a pot and add in the flour stirring continuously for 1 minute– keep on medium heat so you don’t scorch the roux.
Add chicken stock to roux and continue stirring until blended.
Add in half ‘n half and milk…continue stirring.
Let mixture steam for 3 minutes…don’t boil or you’ll scorch the milk.
Add in cream cheese and stir until completely melted and mixture is smooth.
Sprinkle in pepper and any other spices you want– you can add some cayenne for a little kick.
Add in Gouda cheese and remove from heat.
Continue stirring cheese sauce until Gouda is completely melted– it will be a bit stringy and chunky– that’s okay.
Mix in the macaroni and scoop into 8×8 baking dish or individual ramekins.
Place in 350 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes mix each dish and cover with shredded mozzarella.
Sprinkle with paprika and return to oven for 10 additional minutes.
Once mozzarella is completely melted remove from oven and serve warm.
- 3 Cups of Water
- 1 TBS Butter
- 1 TBS Flour
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Uncooked Macaroni
- ½ cup Chicken Stock
- ¼ Cup Half 'n Half
- ¼ Cup Milk
- ¼ Cup Cream Cheese
- 3 Cups Shredded Gouda Cheese
- ½ Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Cook the macaroni until al dente in the 3 cups of water and 1 cup of chicken stock.
- Drain macaroni and set to the side when done.
- Make a roux with the butter and flour-- melt the butter in a pot and add in the flour stirring continuously for 1 minute-- keep on medium heat so you don't scorch the roux.
- Add chicken stock to roux and continue stirring until blended.
- Add in half 'n half and milk...continue stirring.
- Let mixture steam for 3 minutes...don't boil or you'll scorch the milk.
- Add in cream cheese and stir until completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Sprinkle in pepper and any other spices you want-- you can add some cayenne for a little kick.
- Add in Gouda cheese and remove from heat.
- Continue stirring cheese sauce until Gouda is completely melted-- it will be a bit stringy and chunky-- that's okay.
- Mix in the macaroni and scoop into 8x8 baking dish or individual ramekins.
- Place in 350 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes mix each dish and cover with shredded mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with paprika and return to oven for 10 additional minutes.
- Once mozzarella is completely melted remove from oven and serve warm.
What dish do you like to make changes to for a little grown up flair??