Looking for easy delicious recipes that your family will eat? Well, you’ve come to the right place! Easy and family friendly recipes are my specialty!
Have you ever seen something in the produce department that you had no idea what it was? No, these are not bananas…
they are plantains!
Well, this was me when I first discovered plantains. I thought they were some weird type of banana– which is both right and wrong.
Plantains are part of the banana family, they grow on trees, they look like bananas, they peel almost like bananas (much tougher), but DON’T try to eat one like a banana…YUCK-O! See, plantains must be cooked, they can not be eaten raw like bananas, and they taste nothing like bananas (I’m not a big fan of bananas but I LOVE plantains!).
It wasn’t until I met my husband and we went to visit his parents that I discovered plantains. See, my husband is from Puerto Rico and his family eats plantains at just about every meal, so I tried them, was shocked that I liked them so much, and began making them all the time.
There are tons of ways to cook with plantains but this is by far my favorite way! These are so good they could be considered dessert. And they are SUPER easy to make.
1. Pour oil into pan – about 2 inches deep (enough to completely submerse the plantains).
2. Peel plantains – these are much tougher than a banana so you won’t be able to peel them like bananas – you will have to slice it open down the center with a sharp knife and peel off the skin.
3. Heat oil for a few minutes on medium low heat. It is ready when a drop of water sizzles when dropped in there.
4. Cut plantains at an angle, see picture below:
5. Cautiously place plantains in oil one at a time to avoid splattering oil.
6. Cook for 10-15 minutes
7. Plantains are ready when the outside is golden brown.
8. Use a spatula to remove from oil and place on paper towel covered plate.
9. The paper towel will help absorb any extra oil.
10. Once they are cool enough to to eat you can serve them!
Did you enjoy this post? Check out my other easy delicious recipes!